When YouTube found its way onto the Internet, few had any foreboding of how many hours of videos we’ll watch years later.
The internet community doesn’t seem to tire of the videos and accordingly there are many numbers on YouTube.
Instead of listing the entire library, we picked out 52 of the most interesting statistics and categorized them in this blog post.
YouTube history figures
The domain name “YouTube.com” was activated on February 14, 2005.
Youtube Timeline and Facts
- The first YouTube video was uploaded on August 23, 2005. Me at the Zoo shows co-founder Jawed Karim at the San Diego Zoo.
- On October 9, 2005, it was announced that YouTube would be acquired by Google for USD 1.65 billion.
- The first advertisements ran in August 2007.
- In May 2010, 2 billion views were viewed daily on YouTube.
- YouTube broadcast the American presidential debates for the first time in 2012.
- In March 2013, YouTube had 1 billion monthly active users.
- YouTube user numbers
The platform has over 1.9 billion monthly active users.
- 6 out of 10 people prefer online video platforms instead of live TV.
- By 2025, half of users under the age of 32 will not have a paid TV subscription.
- In an average month, eight out of ten 18-49 year olds watch videos on YouTube, while 90% of 18-24 year olds from the US use YouTube.
- In 2015, 18-49 year olds spent 4% less time in front of the TV, while time spent on YouTube increased by 74%.
- On mobile devices alone, YouTube reaches more 18-49-year-olds than news channels and cable television.
- Users can navigate youTube within 80 different languages (covering 95% of the online population).
- The platform is available in over 91 countries.
- Ryan, better known as Ryan ToysReview, is the highest-earning YouTuber, earning a whoabouts of 22 million dollars in 2018.
- Youtube had no problems maintaining their dominant position in the recession.